How to See Your Personal Information

Find out how to see what information we hold about you

The Act provides a right of access to personal information the Council holds about you. This is called ‘Subject Access Rights’.

The Act allows you to see the information that we hold about you. You cannot request to see personal information that we hold about someone else unless you have their written consent to confirm you are acting on their behalf. 

Ways to see the information we hold about you

If you want to see personal information we hold about you, you will need to do one of the following:

If you are sending us the form please fill it in as much detail as you can to help us to process your application. 

If you are sending a letter please remember to tell us clearly exactly what you want to see and include enough details so that we can identify you properly from our records.  

We may need to see some form of identification; we will ask you for this if we need it. Please don’t send us your original documents, copies are fine. 

Bournemouth Borough Council no longer charges a fee for a subject access request. The Council does not require any payment in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations.

Send your request to:  

Information Governance Team
Legal & Democratic
Town Hall, Bourne Avenue
BH2 6DY 

Sometimes, we may have to edit information before we can share it with you.  This might be to protect other people’s identities and their personal information, this is called third party information. 

Getting your information

You can get your information in the following ways:

  • We’ll post it to you using Special Delivery. 
  • If you want to collect it from us in person please tell us you want to do this on your application.

You should get information within thirty days. We’ll tell you if we can’t do this. 

Making a complaint

If you aren’t happy with how we handled your request to see your personal information , you can make a complaint following our complaints procedure.

If you aren’t happy with how this turned out, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.