- Bournemouth is 17.83 sq miles (46.15 sq km).
- There are 20 Conservation Areas.
- Bournemouth has 7 miles of curved sandy beaches. These have won four European Blue Flags, two Quality Coast Awards and a Green Tourism Business Scheme Silver Award
- In the Summer, there’s an average of 7.7 hours of sunshine.
- There are 842 hectares (2,080 acres) of parks and gardens. Fourteen gardens have the Green Flag Award, which recognises environmental protection, community use and safety & cleanliness.
- Bournemouth won two Civic Trust Awards in 2001. One of these was for changing The Square from a roundabout to a civic space and the other was and for changing Knyveton Gardens to a sensory garden for those with disabilities.
- The 2011 Census showed the population of Bournemouth to be 183,491. The mid-2014 estimate was 191,400. It is predicted to reach 225,000 by 2037, according to the Office for National Statistics’ 2012 (ONS) projections.
- There were 140,284 people on the Electoral Roll in 2013.
- Nearly 18,000 students attended Bournemouth University in 2012/13, and 2,900 attended the Arts University Bournemouth at this time.
- Over 2,500 overseas students attended Bournemouth University in 2012/13.
- There are 41 schools in Bournemouth, with 21,570 pupils (Schools' Census, January 2014).
- Just over 11,200 blue badges (personal and institution) were held in Bournemouth in 2010.
- 72,900 people worked in the service sector in 2012, according to the Business Register and Employment Survey (BRES) and NOMIS.
- The unemployment rate for August 2014 was 1.7% (NOMIS).
- 2,209 people were unemployed in July 2014 (NOMIS).
- Bournemouth residents earned an average of £481 per week in 2013. This represents 93% of the England and Wales figure, according to the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) and ONS.
- The average house price between January - March 2014 was £214,500 (Land Registry).
- 50% of household waste was recycled in 2012/13.
- There are 11 neighbourhood recycling centres in Bournemouth.
- 1,140 planning applications were approved in 2013/14, according to the Division of Local Government Services (DLGS).
- 693 new houses were built in 2012/13.
- Nearly 1 million passengers travelled to over 50 destinations from Bournemouth Airport in 2007/08. Over 11,000 tonnes of luggage also travelled.
- Just over 2.54 million rail passenger started or finished their journey at Bournemouth Station in 2009/10.
- It takes ninety-five minutes to get to London Waterloo from Bournemouth Station.
- There are just over 57 kilometres of roads in Bournemouth.
Bournemouth Ward Profiles provide more information about each of Bournemouth's eighteen wards.