Standing as a Local Councillor


There will be 76 councillors in office in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole council. As a councillor, you represent local people and meet members of the public to talk about local issues. 

You'll also attend panels, boards and committee meetings where councillors make decisions about services in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.

Elections are held in all wards every four years on the first Thursday in May.

You could be a Councillor if:

  • You‘re 18 years old or older
  • You’re a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a citizen of another Member State of the European Community


  • You’re a local government elector for Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole
  • You’re a tenant or own land/premises in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole and you’ve lived in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole  for at least twelve months OR
  • You’ve worked in Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole for at least twelve months

You can’t be a Councillor if:

  • You're are employed by us or hold paid office under this authority
  • You’re an undischarged bankrupt
  • You’ve been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of three or more months, within the last five years
  • You’ve been disqualified under any enactment relating to corrupt or illegal practices

How To Apply

You must be nominated by a proposer, a seconder and eight other assentors 

These people must be on the electoral register for the ward you’re standing in.

You are entitled to a copy of the register if you stand. You’ll then need to call us on 01202 451122 before the election you want to stand as a candidate.

If you would like a nomination pack, contact us on 01202 451122, or email


You can appoint an election agent to help you:

  • Organise your expenses
  • Arrange public meetings
  • Display and issue advertisements or publications

You can do this yourself if you’d prefer. 

You’ll receive a basic allowance but you'll need to cover your campaign expenses, and declare them in your Return of Expenses. 

Further Information