Bournemouth's contribution to global action on carbon reduction
National targets require us to achieve at least an 80% cut in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050
The Go Green Bournemouth Climate Change and Sustainable Community Strategy sets out what we have to do to achieve this.
The Bournemouth Plan’s Core Strategy contains direction and policies on climate change. It actively encourages the use of renewable energy and improved energy efficiency in new buildings. It also seeks to reduce carbon emissions by promoting greener travel choices.
To produce a coherent approach to carbon reduction, the core strategy takes into account other strategies such as:
- Local Transport Plan 3.
- Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole Renewable Energy Strategy/ Action Plan.
- Bournemouth Sustainable Community Strategy.
Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole Renewable Energy Strategy
As part of the Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole Renewable Energy Strategy, Bournemouth is focused on:
- Installing solar PV installations on a massive scale (on public, domestic and commercial buildings).
- More investment in biomass boiler installations.
- A green heat and power plant to run the Town Hall complex.
Dorset Urban Food Partnership
Dorset Urban Food Partnership aims to reduce carbon emissions by providing new market opportunities for local food producers. It supports the local food sector across Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole by:
- Developing and supporting short supply chains.
- Raising awareness of the benefits of buying local food.