Reducing Your Own Carbon Emissions
If we all work together, we can make a big difference to our carbon emissions
Here are some simple ways you can cut the amount of carbon you add to the environment:
- Use energy saving light bulbs.
- Insulate your home so less heat escapes.
- Switch off appliances – don’t leave them on standby.
- Put a water saving device in your toilet cistern.
- Do your washing at 30ºC or less.
- Share car journeys wherever you can and cycle, walk or take public transport to replace car journeys at least once a week.
- Buy locally grown, seasonal produce.
- Boil only the water you need, instead of a full kettle every time.
- Reduce the amount of waste your produce and recycle more.
- Take your own bag when you shop rather than plastic carriers.
Energy saving advice and grants
The Local Energy Advice Programme gives eligible Bournemouth households access to free home visits, energy saving gadgets, benefit checks and other services. Apply now
If you want to get involved in making more of a difference, you could join a local green interest or lobby group such as:
Read about the Government's plans for smart meters.