Planning Validation Guidance

Find out what you need to send in with your planning application

We can't validate your application until we have all the information we need. If you don't include everything we ask for when you first apply your application will be delayed. We'll let you know if anything is missing, but advise you to check what you need before you apply.

Plans and drawings

You can prepare plans yourself or employ an architect or similarly qualified person to do it for you. The important thing is that plans are clear and drawn to scale.

If you employ a professional to draw the plans for you they can submit applications and negotiate with us on your behalf.

Supporting documents

As well as the plans you might need to include additional information. These include a Design & Access Statement, Heritage Asset Statement or Arboricultural Impact Assessment. Please check our advice notes below to see what's needed for different types of applications.

Local Government in Dorset is changing. From 1 April 2019 there will be two councils delivering services across Dorset. One for Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP Council), and the second for the rest of the Dorset area (Dorset Council).

There is a new local list of documents required to validate planning applications submitted to BCP Council that will apply to applications submitted on and after 1 April 2019 and a range of checklists for different types of application.

If you require a checklist for a different type of application, please email us at  

If you are making an application that will affect a listed building or a conservation area or other heritage asset you will need to submit a Heritage Statement. Please refer to our guidance note below for further help and details of what you will need to consider and include in your statement.

Making an application for new or additional dwellings

Please refer to our Developer Contributions and Affordable Housing pages. Here you can find out about Section 106 requirements, including forms you need to submit with your application.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The Council adopted the Bournemouth CIL Charging Schedule on 19th January 2016. The Charging Schedule came into effect on 1st March 2016 and applies to all planning decisions made from that date.

Please refer to the CIL webpage which sets out requirements for applicants and agents submitting planning applications.

How to submit your application, plans and supporting documents

You can submit online using the Planning Portal or you can download a paper form from their website.

If you complete a paper form you can post or email it to us at

Planning Transport & Regulatory Services, Town Hall Annexe, St Stephen's Road, Bournemouth  BH2 6EA

You will need to submit the plans, supporting documents and pay the fee at the same time as you submit your form.

Any plans submitted on-line or by email need to be in PDF format.

For most hardcopy applications you only need to send 2 copies of the plans and supporting documents, however:

  • for developments of more than 10 dwellings, or for new buildings with floor area over 1,000 square metres, you need to send 3 copies.
  • for listed building consent, you need to send 4 copies.

We need to scan your documents when we get them. Please don't have them bound or put them in plastic covers.


See the Planning Portal for an up to date list of fees and a fee calculator.

If you use the Planning Portal to submit your application, you must pay your fee to them when you make your application. You can pay them with a credit or debit card when you apply on-line or over the phone by contacting Mears 24/7:03333 233 900. Their service can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year. It is also possible to pay by cheque or bank transfer. Please note that your application will not be released to us until after any application fee has been paid and the Planning Portal also include a service fee.

If you are submitting a paper application form you will need to pay us direct. You can pay over the phone by debit or credit card by contacting customer services on 01202 451323 during office hours.