Do I Need Building Regulation Approval

What you need before starting building work

If you want to build a new building or change something about a building, you’ll need Building Regulation approval. Depending on the project, you’ll need one of the following:

If you’re unsure which approval you need, speak to us first. You need building approvals for: 

  • New buildings
  • Changing existing buildings
  • Installing controlled services and fittings
  • Changing what a building is used for

This is to make sure the building is safe and can be used in the way you plan.

 What Building Regulation covers

  • Structure, strength and stability
  • Fire safety
  • Moisture resistance
  • Toxic substances
  • Sound insulation
  • Ventilation
  • Hygiene
  • Drainage and waste disposal
  • Equipment which produces heat
  • Stairway construction
  • Fuel and power saving
  • Disabled access and facilities
  • Safety glazing

You’ll need to supply some personal information when you apply for buildings approval. We treat this confidentially. Our Building Control Privacy Notice tells you how your details are used.