Make An Application

Make sure you complete the right type of building application for your project

Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service

On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), surveyors are working from home. However, you must still notify us for an inspection. Please ensure you leave a phone number so we can call you to confirm whether we are able to visit. At this time we may accept photo evidence instead of a site visit.

See further information about changes to services.

There are three kinds of applications:


Full Plans application

If you have detailed plans and drawings for flats and commercial buildings, you should send these with a Full Plans application. If these meet Building Regulations standards, we’ll send you an approval certificate. 

If you stick to these plans during construction you can be confident of getting Building Regulation approval.

For work on a private house, we need two copies of the application form and plans. For flats or commercial buildings we need three copies of the form and plans. The extras are for consultation by Dorset Fire and Rescue service.

 There are two charges for a Full Plans application:

  • One when you make the application
  • One to cover all site inspections. We’ll send you an invoice after the first inspection  

Building Notice application

If your building work is small and doesn’t have detailed plans, you can send us a Building Notice application. However, if the building you are working on falls under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, you must use a full plans application

If you want to erect a new building or extend one, you’ll need to send us a block plan with a minimum scale of 1:1250.

Regularisation application

If work has already been done without a Building Control application and you want approval afterwards you can apply for a Regularisation Certificate.

We'll inspect the work, this may mean you have to expose the structure. The work must be found satisfactory before we will issue a certificate.

Useful things to know

The Local Authority Building Control will make a fire safety assessment when your work is approved and once it is completed.

After your building is finished, the Fire Authority will be responsible for enforcing fire safety rules. You’ll get a completion certificate once the work has finished.

Specific details about your plans can be found in Regulation 14 of the Building Regulations 2000.

If you’re unsure which application to send, speak to us at Building Control.