Bournemouth Self Build and Custom Build Register
A register to help us identify the level of demand for self / custom housebuilding plots in Bournemouth
What is self build and custom build?
The terms ‘self build’ and ‘custom build’ describe where individuals or groups are involved in creating their own home.
The amount of personal involvement will vary. Self build projects are where an individual directly organises and commissions the design and construction of their new home. Custom build homes are where a developer co-ordinates the whole process for the person/people involved.
What are the types of self build and custom build projects?
- Individual self build An individual purchases a plot of land to build their own home to live in. They may do some or all of the build themselves. They may employ an architect or builder to do the work for them. Or a project manager may oversee the process.
- Developer-led custom build a developer divides a larger site into individual plots. They then provide a design and build service to purchasers. This enables people to customise existing house designs.
- Group custom build a group of people come together to design and develop a custom build housing development which they then live in. They may build it themselves or with help from a developer to manage the project.
- Supported Community self build group a social landlord or the Community Self Build Agency helps a group of people build their homes together. See the Self Build Portal for further information.
Self Build and Custom Build Register
To be eligible for entry on the Register, you must meet the following criteria:
- Aged 18 or over
- A British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdon, or a national of Switzerland; and
- Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Bournemouth Borough to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence.
If you meet these criteria, please complete the self build and custom build register of interest. Let us know if you are considering a self or custom build project. This could be as an individual or as part of a group.
Please note if you sign up to the register, we can't guarantee that a plot which meets your specifications will be available.
What happens to your information?
This Register provides an indication of the demand for self or custom build in Bournemouth. It helps us inform the development of planning or housing policy.
At this stage, you are not making any commitment. We are just trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing and custom-build housing.
The register is not a public document, but headline information will be published annually in monitoring reports. For example, the number of plots and type of houses required.
National Policy on Self Build and Custom Build
The Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Act came into force in March 2015 which was amended by the Housing and Planning Act 2016 (c22).
New Regulations (now superseded) and Planning Practice Guidance came into force on 1st April 2016. These outline how councils should meet the requirements of the Act.
New Regulations came into force on 31 October 2016:-
Please refer to the Self Build Portal for further information on self / custom build.
If you are interested in group or community self build please go to the Community Self Build Agency website