Apply For A Bus Pass
People who have reached state pension age and people with certain disabilities can apply for a free bus pass
Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), bus services have been changed to reflect essential travel guidance, whilst continuing to provide journeys for key workers.
These changes include the lifting of bus pass time restrictions.
See further information about changes to other services.
Who can have a free bus pass?
People whose main home is in Bournemouth and who:
or have one or more of the following disabilities:
- blind or partially sighted
- profoundly or severely deaf
- without speech
- a disability which has a substantial or long-term effect on your ability to walk
- don’t have arms or have lost the use of both arms long term
- learning disability or can’t get a driving licence due to medical reasons
The information we need when you apply
- A recent passport sized photograph
- Proof of identity (for example, birth certificate, passport, repeat prescription or driving licence)
- Your national insurance number
- If you are applying for a bus pass because you are disabled, we need evidence to show you qualify for a pass
- If you need a companion pass, we need to see a letter from your GP to say you aren't able to travel alone
- If you are providing a PIP letter as evidence, this must be dated within 1 year
How much does a bus pass cost?
The bus pass is free, but you’ll need to pay to get a passport photo as we don’t provide these.
We can take photographs at the Town Hall for a charge of £2.
How long do bus passes last?
Bus passes can last from 1 year to 5 years.
If you have a bus pass due to a medical reason and is a ‘reduced term pass’ the expiry date may be the same as the date on the evidence you gave us when you applied.
I don’t live in Bournemouth, can I apply?
No. You have to apply to your own council to get a bus pass. We only deal with applications from people who live in Bournemouth.
If you have a second home in Bournemouth, please apply to the council where your main home is.