Road Safety In Bournemouth
Find out about road safety information, advice and support to help everyone travel safely in our town
Making our roads safer
Road safety report
Our Road Safety Report details all the valuable work we do to keep our roads safe. If you'd like further advice or information about email our Road Safety Team.
Reported road casualties
See our summary of reported road casualties in 2015 against 2014. Also against the 2005/09 National Indicators and Local Targets.
Road safety newsletter
Find out more about the fantastic partnership work that's happening across the county to improve road safety in the Dorset Road Safety Newsletter.
Penalty increase for using mobile phone while driving
The penalty for holding and using your mobile phone while driving is now 6 points and £200.
Any time a driver’s attention is not on the road can be dangerous. That’s why THINK!’s latest campaign challenges the misconception that a quick glance at your phone won’t hurt.
The THINK! Safer Cycling Campaign. An initiative to remind cyclists to 'hang back' at junctions. Avoid getting caught between a lorry and a left hand turn.
Road safety for adults
- Adult cycle training Provided through our team of nationally accredited Bikeability instructors. For anyone over 16 who lives, works or studies in Bournemouth. Sessions cover safety checks, basic bike control skills and route planning.
- Bike Maintenance Courses Learn about bike maintenance and minor repairs.
- Mini Bus Driving Training One day training courses for anyone who wants to drive a minibus (a vehicle containing 9-16 passenger seats). Training provided at a school or other suitable location.
- Life Drive Free young driver training (17-25 years). Designed to reduce accidents by building young drivers' awareness, experience and confidence. For young drivers who have recently completed Life Drive Evaluation. Enjoyable interactive theory and practical training. In addition, there's a free £50 Amazon voucher for everyone who completes the course. Book Life Drive training
- Car Seat Check Clinics - An alarming number of child car seats are incorrectly fitted. Make sure your in-car child seats are fitted correctly.
- Latest ADI makes conduct of driving instructors clearer - a new version of the approved driving instructor (ADI) register guide has been published.
- Flood Water Please be aware of the dangers of driving through flood water. Heed the advice from the AA in dealing with this dangerous weather condition.
Road safety for children and young people
- Free cycle training for children aged 10 and over. Our Bikeability course combines Bikeability Levels 1 and 2 to improve road safety awareness for young cyclists. Once successfully completed, there's also a free Level 3 course. This helps improve children's skills on more challenging roads and junctions.
The Department for Transport funds these courses so that we can deliver them to you for free.
- STEPs Safety Training Education Programme for Primary school children in Years 1 and 4.
- CCTV cameras outside Bournemouth Schools are there to deter cars and other vehicles from stopping there illegally.
- Pre-school road safety. We lend road safety equipment to pre-school groups to help them teach road safety skills to preschoolers. The equipment is available for loan for one week at a time. This is a free service. Please email our Road Safety team to find out more or arrange an equipment loan.
- School Crossing Patrols. We are responsible for risk management at school crossing patrol sites and any engineering and traffic measures which are needed there.
We also manage the School Crossing Patrol service, including recruitment. To find out about permanent vacancies or opportunities as a mobile relief patroller or a relief patroller specific to a particular school, email
email@example.com or phone 01202 454636
How to find out about road traffic accidents
You can ask us for information about traffic accidents by sending a plan of the area you're interested in. Let us know the dates you want to know about. We provide accident detail listing (stats 19) and can also plot the accidents. This will cost from £100 (+ VAT) for requests made for commercial purposes. Contact us to find out more.
National campaigns and useful resources