A338 and Blackwater Junction Info
Information for road users
Visit the travel blog for information. When you sign up you will receive updates straight to your email inbox.
A338/Blackwater Junction Improvements - Scheme completed June 2019
B3073 Blackwater West Junction Improvements - Scheme completed
Major improvement works at the B3073 Blackwater West Junction have been completed on time and on budget.
The nine-month long scheme was funded through Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Deal and forms part of the Bournemouth International Growth Programme aimed at facilitating better access into and around Bournemouth Airport and stimulating economic growth across the county.
The works, delivered by BCP Council and Dorset Council, started in July 2019 and have focused on easing congestion, improving traffic flow and connectivity and increasing journey time reliability at the busy Blackwater West Junction
The works included:
- Improvements to the A338 off slip
- The construction of a new and more efficient A338 on slip
- Increased junction capacity by widening the road on both sides to create an additional lane
- Installation of new islands and traffic lights
- Improved pedestrian and cycle crossing facilities
- Three-metre-wide cycle and footpath facility improvements on the B3073
- Resurfacing the whole junction
- Installation of a noise fence and landscaping
This was the final scheme in a series of £11.2 million works at Blackwater Junction on the A338 and B3073.
Completed on time and on budget according to COVID-19 social distancing measures is a testament to the successful partnership working between Dorset LEP, BCP Council, Dorset Council and Hanson Contracting.
Finding travel information
The best way to stay up to date is to sign up to the travel blog to receive email updates: A338 travel blog
You can also